Monday 1 June 2020

DOWN MEMORY LANE #2 MARTIN GRITTON


The life of former Plymouth Argyle and Torquay United striker Martin Gritton is not one that fits with the stereotype of a professional footballer. 

First of all, when he was five-years old, his family relocated from the footballing ‘hot bed’ of Glasgow to the Rugby playing heartland of Cornwall. As a life-long Celtic fan, growing up in a time when the Cornish rugby side were regular visitors to Twickenham for the County Championship final, he developed an appreciation for the oval ball game.

“I loved playing rugby at school growing up, as many of my mates played football so it was all good.  Cornwall had a great Rugby team too, making it to the county championship final a couple of times, about 40,000 made the trip up,” said Gritton. 

He is also one of the select band of individuals to have made a living from professional football who have been university educated. He graduated with a Sports Science Degree from the University of Portsmouth in 1999, and was also selected for the England and British University representative sides. 

“Travelling up and down when I could was a struggle – but Uni football was great fun though. We had a great team and I was lucky enough to get in the England and Britain Uni sides. I scored against Scotland.”

In addition to this, Gritton also combined his studies with playing in the Jewson South Western League for Porthleven, after starting out with his local side, Perranwell.

“We had a great run in the Vase, making it to the Quarter Finals. I scored a few late winners on the run, but we had a cracking team.”

His displays for Porthleven brought him to the attention of Plymouth Argyle manager Kevin Hodges who persuaded him to sign for the Pilgrims ahead of the 1998-99 season. During his time at Home Park under Hodges, the Pilgrims won the vast majority of games on their own turf, but struggled to replicate that form on their travels and ended up being confined to mid-table obscurity. 

“I remember striking up a good partnership with Ian Stonebridge and getting a few goals. We had some great players - Paul McGregor and Chris Hargreaves spring to mind, Steve McCall too – it was just a shame we couldn't have had more success.
“I was always grateful to Kevin for giving me my break in professional football. He was and still is a great servant to the football club so it would have been nice for us to have had more joy as a group.”

Following Hodges’s dismissal early in the 2000-01 season, Paul Sturrock was appointed as manager. Gritton found himself out of favour with the former Dundee United favourite and was loaned out to Yeovil Town and League of Ireland side Shelbourne. 

“It was good to go and get experience and I was lucky to meet some great folk at those clubs that I bumped into many times more in the future.”

However, with his career seemingly at a crossroads, he made the short journey to the Pilgrims’ neighbour’s Torquay United as one of Leroy Rosenior’s first signings as Gulls manager.
It was a move that would help to kick-start his career in the game. 

“Personally, Leroy was the best manager I worked with, not only as a man-manager, but how he got the most out of the squad on a budget. Look at some of the players he developed? He seems to be doing OK on telly though doesn't he? I'm sure he could coach if he wanted to. You see how hard it is for managers at that level, I admire the resilience of anyone that wants to do that at a small club and can be successful.”

Initially joining Torquay on loan, he found the target on his debut – a 2-1 home win over Bristol Rovers on the opening day of the 2002-03 season – and later signed for the Gulls on a permanent basis.These were heady times for Torquay as he became part of a roster of strikers that included David Graham and Jo Kuffour, which relied on top quality service from a midfield that featured Alex Russell and Jason Fowler. 

“The Plymouth squad I left was flying, full of good players and beating everything that was in front of them. I was surprised when I turned up at Torquay because there was as much talent in that small squad of players as there was at any other club I've been at. 

“Plymouth were a hard working solid unit that was hard to beat, Torquay had a bit more flair, and the Torquay legends like Hilly (Kevin Hill) and Beds (Tony Bedeau) made it such a unique squad.”

Gritton found the back of the net 16 times in all competitions to ensure that he ended the campaign as the Gulls’ top scorer. He was also runner-up to Russell in the club’s Player of the Year award vote, as Torquay narrowly missed out on the play-offs with a ninth placed finish.The following season proved to be a different proposition as the Gulls won automatic promotion for the first time in 38 years.
Torquay needed to beat Southend United on the final day of the 2003-04 season to secure a third-place finish in Division Three at the expense of Huddersfield Town. The Gulls won 2-1 against the Shrimpers at Roots Hall, whilst the Terriers could only draw with Cheltenham Town – thus ensuring that Torquay secured the third and final automatic promotion spot. 

“I didn't play as much as I wanted to that season as I had a bad injury, but scoring away at Hull and winning 1-0 was a good day. The final day at Southend will live long in the memory.”

Midway through the 2004-05 campaign, Gritton left Torquay to join Grimsby Town. This was in the days before the introduction of the transfer window for lower league clubs, and the deal went through on Christmas Eve 2004. 

“The time was right for me to go, it was a great opportunity to go and I loved my time up there, leaving at Christmas was tough - living in a hotel over Christmas and leaving the English Riviera for Cleethorpes was an eye opener!”

He then went on to appear for Lincoln City, Mansfield Town, Macclesfield Town and Chesterfield before returning to Plainmoor on loan during the 2010-11 season. His return to the Gulls came a year after Torquay won promotion back into the Football League under Paul Buckle. 

“It was a young squad of hungry good players, I would like to have played more - I split my knee open early in the season and couldn't get back in the side, but it was another cracking side that Buckle had assembled. I enjoyed being a part of it in some way for those 6 months. It was nice to see a couple of familiar faces at the place too!”

Gritton returned to the Spireites, who were then managed by current Plymouth Argyle manager John Sheridan, after making 15 appearances without scoring for the Gulls. A brief spell with Chester FC and a return to Yeovil Town followed before he joined Stockport County and later finished his career back in Cornwall with Truro City in the 2011-12 campaign. 

“I felt I had played my last days in Cornwall at my two favourites clubs, Porthleven and Perranwell, but Lee Hodges was a good friend as a team mate and offered me the chance to play when I left Stockport. I really enjoyed it, with some cracking players that I keep an eye out for still.”

Gritton currently resides in London where he has embarked on a new career in Sports PR. 

An abridged version of this article appeared in the Sunday Independent on March 8, 2015.