Monday 13 August 2018

ARGYLE'S EVENTFUL START CONTINUES FOLLOWING ADAMS' DISMISSAL

It has been an eventful start of the 2018-19 campaign for Plymouth Argyle after manager Derek Adams was dismissed for a touchline altercation with his opposite number Chris Powell in the Pilgrims' League One clash with Southend United.

The pair became the first Football League managers to be sent off under the new rules that allow referees to issue yellow and red cards to coaches and managers.

Adams claimed he was "grabbed by the throat" by Powell, who said the Argyle boss was rude to one of his players.
The incident followed a foul by Argyle striker Ryan Taylor on Southend full-back Jason Demetriou.

"Demetriou went down holding his face after going up for the ball with Ryan Taylor," said Adams.

"He decided to stay down extremely long. Simon Cox then decided to move across and say something to the fourth official - I then told Simon Cox to shut up and then Chris Powell decided to get himself involved and grabbed me by the throat."

Powell did not disagree with Adams' version of events, but was unhappy with what the Argyle boss said to his player.

"If he wants to own up and say to anyone what he said then fair play to him, but I know what he said and so does he, so I reacted off that," said Powell.

"It's wrong of me, of course, but you know what I'll do, I'll always back my players and my team.
"I was upset with my own behaviour and at half-time I apologised to my players but I said 'I'll always back you'."

Up until that point the match had been a 'tale of two penalties' rather than a 'tale of two red cards' , as the Pilgrims took the lead from the spot through Graham Carey in the 20th minute after the Shrimpers' Stephen McLaughlin fouled Argyle's Tafari Moore.

Southend equalised with a penalty of their own on 38 minutes, a minute before the red cards were issued, which was scored by Demetriou after Taylor brought down Timothee Dieng.

Saturday's events come a week after their opening day 2-1 defeat to Walsall, which saw Ryan Edwards find the target for the Pilgrims in his return to the side following treatment for testicular cancer.