Sunday 11 March 2018

HIGGINS FORCED TO RETIRE WITH HEART CONDITION

Torquay United right-back Ryan Higgins has been forced to retire from professional football after being diagnosed with a heart condition.

Former Everton starlet Higgins, who joined the Gulls last summer from Southport, appeared 18 times for United this season and made his decision after undergoing a series of tests after his sister was rushed to hospital last November.

"My sister was rushed to hospital with a heart condition back in November," said Higgins.
"I did briefly return to football but, after further investigation, the doctors informed us that my sister's condition was hereditary.

"It has been a long and difficult process, and we received the worst possible news last week, which confirmed I would have to retire from the game. It is obviously heart breaking news and something I will have to digest."

"Football has been my life and all I ever wanted to do since the age of four. It is too soon for me to know what the next step will be but I look forward to the next chapter in my life with a positive attitude," he added.

After coming through Everton's academy, Higgins had spells with Birmingham City, AFC Telford, Chester FC and Southport before joining United in 2017.