Friday 22 March 2013

GRECIANS SIGN RODGERS JUNIOR

In a bid to strengthen the Grecians' League Two promotion bid, Exeter City boss Paul Tisdale has snapped up Anton Rodgers, son of Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers, on loan.

Rodgers junior arrives at St James Park on a youth loan from his parent club Brighton and Hove Albion and will remain with the Grecians until the end of the season.

He has made one substitute appearance for the Seagullls and has also appeared for the Republic of Ireland at youth level.

Before committing to moving to Exeter, Rodgers sought the advice of his father who spoke highly of Tisdale and his approach to the game.

"I was looking to gain experience and try and get first-team football, so it's one where my dad spoke to Paul Tisdale and they're a footballing team and it suited me perfectly to come," said Rodgers.

"Exeter are doing well and hopefully I can get a couple of games here."

 Tisdale has also hinted that he would be keen to bring Rodgers junior to St James Park on a more permanent basis.

"I'd like to think that we could tempt him here one day should we wish," commente Tisdale.
"I'm always looking a year, two years in advance and I'm always looking to build a team."

The signing of Rodgers junior isn't the only connection the Grecians have with the Anfield club as former boss Alex Inglethorpe currently coaches their reserve side.