Friday 10 February 2012

LING AND ELLIS IN DOUBLE AWARD SCOOP

Torquay United boss Martin Ling and central defender Mark Ellis have named as League Manager of Month and Player of the Month for January respectively.

This outstanding double award success comes on the back of five straight wins during the month, which has moved the Gulls firmly into the promotion and Play-Off mix.

Ling was quick to praise his backroom staff, who he believes have all played a role in helping Torquay maintain their current form.

"If I could split the award into six pieces, I would," said Ling. "One piece would go to the players and the other four to [video analyst] Lee Dunn, [coach] Ken Veysey, [physio] Damian Davey, [assistant manager] Shaun Taylor and I'll have a little bit myself.


"Every one of these components has allowed me to get this award. My name will be on the award but the players and four staff members of our management team deserve just as much praise.

"I've been in a situation at Orient where I had to dismantle the management team I'd put together because it didn't work.

"Coming to this situation, I knew Shaun and Kenny but had never worked with them. I'd met Damian once as well and Lee Dunn was brought in by us, and it's worked perfectly.

"We all get on very well, which is a big factor. We all laugh together and cry together when it doesn't go right, but we all prop each other up. A manager is only as good as his management team because you need the support structure around you."

Ling also reserved a special mention for Ellis who scored three times for the Gulls during their five match winning sequence, as well as being part of a defence that only conceded three goals during their impressive run.

He said: "It is an exceptional award for Mark and one that he fully deserves. He is a wholehearted player and showed tremendous patience at the start of the year.


"He's been a revelation since he came back in the team and has added goalscoring in recent times, which I'm sure has helped him to get the award."